Saturday 29 October 2011

I forgot, I swear!


I was warned before I left Queensland that my fresh food would be confiscated at the border into Western Australia but we forgot about it when we cooked dinner at Timber Creek.  We didn't actually cook any of our fresh food and what a mistake that turned out to be! 
Knowing we were on the road to Western Australia was pretty darn exciting for us.  It wasn't a long drive either so we took our time as usual.  Having Kristy to sort out the music was such a treat.  She had great tunes on her ipod and many brought back memories to when we were younger and provided more laughs.  She made me laugh alot.  Especially when the sun got to extreme heat and beat down on her face.  She would pull the curtains in Applejack and sometimes leave me just enough to see out of to stay on the road.  It was bloody hot without air-conditioning so I take my hat of to her for being able to put up with the conditions so well.  There were days when we would go really quiet and just stare at the road and then just look at each other and laugh at how rediculously hot it was.  The silence never lasted long and we would end up singing louder. 

We started cheering when we saw we were getting closer to the border and we were in for another great photo opportunity with the Western Australia sign. Then I remembered we had to declare any food we had and next thing we knew we were driving under the shed and a very mean lady with a clipboard stopped us.  She held up her clipboard and read what I was not allowed to take across the border.  I am not sure what happened to me but while she was reading I was shaking my head and tried not to look too worried over different foods.  She said so you don't have any of these things?  I for some really stupid reason said no.  She then said so you won't mind if I search your van then?  Again I said no that's fine and I wish at this stage Kristy had taken over, gagged me and said yes we do!  ha ha I quickly said oh no actually we have tomatoes and apples in the fridge.  She didn't seem too worried she just said OK well hand them over but as I opened the fridge I realised we had alot more stuff then we thought and by this stage the border patrol lady was really angry.  She opened my cupboard and found potatoes and onions and I swear I had forgotten about these but she didn't believe me and by this stage Kristy was finding this whole situation funny.  We were all out of the van and she walked to the back and said OK so far I have found etc etc etc in your van and you looked at the clipboard and said you didn't have it!  What else do you have in here that you haven't told me about because you had better tell me now or I will report you to the head office in Perth because I don't think I should let you girls into their state!  No no no, as far as I know that is it I said.  She didn't believe me and pointed to the engine lid and said what's in here?  Trying not to sound like a smart ass or laugh I said the engine but do you want me to show you?  Oh what a turnout.  I should have just stopped and had a look through the van in the first place and handed over everything but because I had so so little of food and unaware they were so strict I stuffed up. 
Driving away we were both kind of nervously laughing at the whole situation but realised we had missed the border sign and were devastated.  We weren't turning back incase she changed her mind and called border patrol police onto us or something so we put the pedal to the metal and looked for another sign to star jump infront of to show our first moments in WA.  Kristy has the winning picture on her camera unfortunately becuase it was an amazing shot.  First go, set the camera up on the tripod, hit self timer, ran to the front of the sign, beside Applejack and started jumping and laughing like idiots until we counted the flickers and jumped in the air together.   The replay was uncanny.  Our feet were exactly in line and off the ground at the exact same height and millimetres away from touching. 
We speak about this shot still to this day.  It should be the Jetstar photo of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment