Tuesday 11 October 2011

Didgeridoo, Dog Blues and Daly Waters

I saluted the truckies on the wall of fame at the Three Ways Hotel then jumped in behind my own big steering wheel for another day of cruising.  It was just me and my big yellow kombi driving along the open road and I was HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!  My finger pointed to Daly Waters Pub on the map and although it was only early morning I could taste the ice cold beer that was waiting for me.  I had heard good things about this little remote pub and when I arrived, I actually didn't know where to begin in this museum like stop.  I booked my camping site and popped the top.
I did what I did best.  Beer, swim and introduce myself to the locals.  I fell in love with Daly Waters straight away and even got offered a job.  I felt a small tinge of sadness that I wasn't able to say yes I'd love to stay!  Unfortunately, I only had three months before I had to go back to work in the Whitsundays and a big drive ahead of me.  Not letting it get me down I got a photo behind the bar for a laugh and what happened next was one of my most favourite meets of the trip. 
This is where I want to introduce into my Dance of Happiness, Mish, Gregg and Ryan.  I kept saying before I left that it would be nice to meet other travellers along the way to drive with and after meeting these folk I knew they were keepers.  They were down to earth Australians that made me laugh.  We agreed on a time to catch up for tea which then turned into a jam session with a guitar, didgeridoo and Gregg singin' the blues.  I laugh everytime I think of Gregg and Ryan singing.  Guys if you are reading this, I high five you.  You are champions, don't change!
So readers this is why I am glad I let my instinct guide me past the Barkley Homestead the day before, otherwise I would have missed out on meeting this trio of treats. 





No comments:

Post a Comment