Monday 3 October 2011

Week One - Queensland to Northern Territory

THIS time last year I was just stepping out of a cold swimming pool at the Three Way Hotel in the Northern Territory.  It was night four of my adventure around Australia and I was loving life!  Applejack and I had only been together for just over two weeks but he had become my security blanket. 
Over the next three months on my blog I will take you on my journey of self discovery around Australia.

I was finally fulfilling a dream of:
1. Owning a kombi
2. Travelling around my gorgeous country in a kombi
3. Escaping society
4. Meeting like-minded people
5. Letting the wind blow all my unnecessary worries out the window
6. Picking up my best friend along the way to provide even more laughs
7. Introducing myself to Pearl Farmer Jamie..ha
8. Attending a wedding of one of the cutest couples I know
9. Making it across the Nullabor
10. Most of all completing a goal

I really didn't have many plans when I left the Whitsundays on October 1, 2010.  I know some friends and family were worried about me travelling Australia alone in such an old vehicle but after many friends saying "yeah I'd love to come" I had a feeling it would just be Apple and myself and to be honest it's exactly what I wanted and needed.
After a few drinks with friends in Townsville on the first night I thought I had managed to send the concerns away when a friend made a last minute, random and most probably drunk decision to join the drive to Darwin but unfortunately his work had other ideas.  So after a quick shop for food I was on the road by mid morning and still solo....
An hour out at Charters Towers I was already lifting the lid to the engine.  (Don't think I ever told dad about this hiccup) ha  The little mechanic in me kicked in and I connected the spare battery to wake Apple up and put him back on the road.   I had a laugh to myself and shook my head but I wasn't at all worried.  I felt free and I remember beeping the horn every time I passed a sign.  I will never forget the feeling of joy and relief that took over my body that day.
 When I arrived in Richmond mid afternoon I was really excited, after all I had made my first destination!
I made a quick fuel top up, booked into the caravan park which overlooked the lake, grabbed a  XXXX Summer and introduced myself to a family enjoying a ski.  Oh yeah this was the life.

A few yarns later, barbecue and another beer and I was calling it a night, ready for day two of my Dance of Happiness around Australia.

First time in a long time I was more then happy to wake up at 4am...what a sunrise :)





No comments:

Post a Comment