Thursday 20 October 2011

Dancin to Darwin....

I have to first say sorry to my followers for getting behind in my Dance of Happiness trip around Australia.  Between computer problems and the sun finally coming out in Victoria I haven't been able to update my posts.  But I will do my best to update you as quick as possible!
So I left Edith Falls, still travelling solo a week ago last year.  I cranked the speakers in Applejack and sung my little heart out all the way to Darwin where I was staying with my friend Renee for the night.  I have to say I was surprised at how much I enjoyed my own company!  I had needed a break and this trip which I can remember talking about wanting to do since High School was the best thing that I have experienced in my life.  I can't exactly remember what I thought about while driving on these very quiet roads but I do remember never feeling annoyed or upset.  Just complete happiness and peace.  When I think back to these days of driving, I smile to think about how happy I was considering how hot it was.  I'm talking 35-45 degrees everyday.  You will notice I had a headband on in all my pictures and this was to soak up the sweat.  I stuck to Applejack but for some reason even the feeling of dripping with sweat made me feel alive and I knew I was on the right road in life.

With Renee's address in a text message on my phone I made my way to her house for a cup of tea and a hug.  We couldn't remember the last time we had seen each other so we had a lot to catch up on but I was also desperate to buy a camera after mine got wet at Mataranka Thermal Pools.  Taking photos was one of my favourite things to do on the trip so I was feeling lost without it.
A little annoyed about having to fork out the extra money I drove into the big smoke of Darwin and finally found a Dick Smith.  I nearly wrote I was completely lost but I guess you can't be lost if you don't have a real destination.  I think it was all meant to be anyway, as I ended up with a great camera for a great price and a few free extras so I was stoked.

My catch up with Renee went to quick but she had to fly back to our hometown the next day so we hugged goodbye and I discovered Darwin alone again.  At some point I had to buy a dress for a wedding I was attending in Perth in November and knowing the next couple of weeks would be remote I searched for a shopping centre.  I can't describe how nice it was to relax in the air-conditioning for a while and randomly run into a familiar and friendly face of another friend from home, Fleur.
I had bought the few things I needed so I faced the heat again and took the advice of my friends Luke and Alicia from Perth and visited their good friends Craig and Angela.  I had never met these people before but it felt like we had known each other for years after introducing ourselves over a beer.  These two new friends then told me I should check out Darwin city and introduce myself to their friend who was working at Happy High Herbs for the night.  I thought why the hell not, I was having such a great time meeting people that I thought I should follow some more advice.  I ended up sitting with another stranger for a couple of hours, had a few herbal teas before going with her to see some of her friends and family.  I was loving Darwin and the locals!  She offered for us to park in her brothers street for the night but I knew I wouldn't be able to find it again after picking Kristy up from the airport at 1am.   I was lucky we were heading in the same direction otherwise Kristy would have been waiting awhile for me as I didn't have a GPS or any maps so I never really knew where I was going.

When I saw Kristy walk off the plane I got really excited.  It was time to run a muck on the Dance Of Happiness and first stop was back in the bright lights of Darwin!


This is where it began with Kristy.  She was already being a pain in the ass..excited but not letting me take her photo...it soon changed. haha


No comments:

Post a Comment