Wednesday 12 October 2011

Dancing UFO's

I was hesitant to lower the roof on Applejack in the morning at Daly Waters.  I wasn't ready to move on but I had a get to Darwin by Friday so I shook the feeling and focused on the good points.  Turned out my new friends were heading in the same direction so I warmed Applejack up and organised my music for the drive to Mataranka Thermal Pools, 100km south of Katherine.  Along the way I stopped at Larrimah to see the pink panther for a large statue photo opportunity.  I am kicking myself for not venturing into the zoo as I heard by the guys that it was the funniest zoo they have seen.  The place looked shut when I stopped by but that will teach me for not going to greater lengths. 
The drive to Mataranka was hot, humid and the scrub looked really dry.  I parked Applejack and nearly jogged to the Thermal Pools I was that keen for a swim.  I had no idea what they were going to look like and I felt like I was in a rainforest in North Queensland not the Northern Territory.  Boardwalks wound between massive green trees with bats hanging from the branches.  It was bizarre and beautiful.  I didn't question it too much I just ripped off my clothes and floated on my back gazing up at the little piece of paradise in the bush.  Mish and the boys weren't far behind so I floated a little longer.  I asked Ryan how Applejack was out the front and his response made me both laugh and realise I wasn't the only one that would be talking to Applejack on this trip.  He said "Oh Alyce he's pretty annoyed at you for leaving him out there in the heat."  I chuckled and said well I left him a carton of beer, I thought he'd be happy enough with that?"  He was part of the group and how could he not, kombi's have so much character!
We couldn't lay around here all day so I quickly had my usual lunch of tomatoes on saladas and followed the others to Katherine. 
I had a completely different vision of Katherine so when I arrived I had to blink a few times.  I can't go into detail tonight but we only spent a brief moment there before going straight up to Edith Falls to spend the night spotting UFO's.  You read right!  The week before we arrived there were UFO sightings reported so we got in on the action to.  Did we see any?  Well you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out....









































































No comments:

Post a Comment