Tuesday 25 October 2011

Long dance to Timber Creek














WE spent two nights at Litchfield National Park and could have chilled out for a lot longer but I had to be in Perth early November for a wedding. At the time it seemed unfortunate that I had to make some stops quick but as you will read further down the track, if I hadn't of done what I did we wouldn't have met who we did.  Sometimes things just happen for a reason I guess.

I had to say goodbye to the crew at some stage and we had two great days of swimming, sweating, eating, drinking, singing and star gazing so we packed up early and said cheerio.  It was sad but we had a lot of road ahead of us and just got more exciting each day.
I had filled Kristy in on the places I had been before she joined me and the wonderful people I had met including the family at the Charters Towers caravan park so when I saw their truck parked across the road from the Litchfield turn-off I was stoked.  The girls ran out to Applejack which made us smile even more, they had such beautiful personalities.  I skidded to a halt and introduced Kristy.  It was really special running into fellow travellers in the middle of nowhere like this.

We had a quick catch up as we had quite a big drive ahead of us to Timber Creek.  Looking back over my map makes me feel bad and confused as to why I didn't take Kristy into see Daly Waters and Katherine Gorge but I have a feeling I asked her, she would have said "I don't mind" and after much confusion on my behalf I clearly kept driving.
Sorry Kristy, do you forgive me? haha
Katherine as I wrote earlier in my blog was not what I expected.  I was aware it had a large Aboriginal population which is what I looked forward to seeing in a large skale to learn more about their culture and dream time stories but it was also very daunting.  Sprinklers in garden beds were being used as drinking fountains and Applejack and I couldn't get out of the park as I was getting asked for alcohol, money and cigarettes.  I had stuck close to the guys when we were in the shops as I was unsure of how to handle everyone but after taking a moment to take it all in, I felt OK.  We had also taken the drive to Katherine Gorge on the way to Edith Falls but unless you take a boat ride you don't see much of the Gorge and I think this is why Kristy said she didn't mind not going there.  Thinking back to when I went with the trio of treats makes my stomach turn a little, as we swam a long way to the other side and I'm sure there would have been crocodiles sneaking around somewhere!  

So anyway we drove through Katherine and turned right for the road further west, which I remember feeling really excited about at the time.  I was lucky I worked with many wonderful nomads at the Information Centre in Bowen who gave me heaps of great advice on where to stay along the way and one beautiful couple in particular wrote notes on every page that I flipped to.  Marg and Brian's encouragement and support before, during and after my trip will always hold a spot in my heart.

We got to the tiny town of Timber Creek at 6pm which was half an hour past crocodile feeding time.  We were devastated so without wasting anymore time we hurried to the bridge.  Hmm how do you call a crocodile?  I have video footage which shows how we tried to call them but I was as handy as tits on a bull trying to video and look at the same time so it would make you sea sick to watch.  After a lot of "here croc croc crocie" I decided to throw a stick in the water and sure enough bubbles started appearing.  I get shivers just thinking of them.  This was the first time I had seen them in the wild and they gave me goosebumps.  They just rise to the surface without moving, it is so bizarre.

I am surprised we didn't lock Applejack this night in Timber Creek as the camping grounds were actually on the creek.  I am also not sure why they weren't interested in climbing the banks.  There were quite a few nomads with little dogs which I am sure would have been delicious.  Maybe that is why they feed them at 5.30pm everyday.

























































Yeah yeah so it doesn't look like a big crocodile but trust me....they were freaky!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this!! I have forgotten so many little details.. especially trying to call the crocs hahaha. I remember also chucking stuff in the water to try and trick them that it was food!! So funny. xx

    ReplyDelete