Monday 24 October 2011

music in the toilets?

KRISTY greeted Applejack and we decided to hit the town even though we were dog tired.  We had no idea where we were going to park up for the night but after a little confusion we decided on the esplanade opposite a flash motel.  It was close to the main street of pubs but not too close that we'd get the drunken locals annoying us after close.  We had no idea what we were in for!
With alot to catch up on, our care factor for meeting other people was zero and I especially had no interest in making small talk with annoying guys.  But somehow that's what we attracted when we sat outside with our beers at one of the Darwin pubs.   Not sure if we chose the wrong watering whole or if it was just "annoying people night out".  The music was super loud and the men around us were super annoying.  One guy asked me my name, I told him and he repeated it as something different, I told him again and the same thing happened so after a bit more dribble from his mouth I ended up blurting out "I don't want to talk to you, stop talking to me'.  You might think, damn gal you are rude but I just wanted to talk to Kristy and I didn't have patience for poor small talk and ridiculous pick up lines.  This was actually one of the things on my list I was driving from.

So after alot of laughing about our night we headed back to Applejack.  It was probably sad the way I could spend all my time in this kombi but it felt like my little place of peace.  This was the first night on my trip that I not only shut the doors but also locked them and buttoned up all the curtains.  I think we even laughed about waking up and seeing a local, including a crocodile, poking their head through the hatch of the pop top.  It just felt like we were attracting annoying people?

While we were getting ourselves locked in we got to see more then we bargained for.  A group of drunk locals were walking along the path and one of the women in the group squatted behind the toilet which was in front of Applejack and peed.  Well tried to pee, she was so drunk that she struggled to get her undies off and then got up and struggled to get them back on.  We saw way too much but it was hilarious. 
It took me a little while to get to sleep and daylight woke us up with council workers in their trucks with reverse beeping and other awesome loud machinery.  I peeked through the curtain to check we weren't getting towed.  With the coast clear I dashed to the toilet where we had seen the show last night.  It just got even more amusing.  Have you all seen those stainless steel toilets that are a little box and you just wave your hand in front of everything for it to open, shut, roll and flush?  I always leave going to the toilet to the last minute so I had no time to spare I was on a mission or there would be an accident.  Jigging like I was in the "River Dance" crew I did a few laps around this very small building before finding a button for the door.  It slid open and what I thought was the most bizarre song for a toilet came on..."What the world needs now, is love, sweet love, that's the only thing, that there's just...too little of".  What the?  I also don't have the ability to laugh when busting to wee so I quickly sat down as I also heard on a speaker that I had a certain amount of time before the door would automatically open I think.  Farout, then I couldn't work out how to get the toilet paper.  Turns out it was a wave of the hand action as well.  I felt like I was in a sound-proof box but I yelled out to Kristy as she had to experience this.  I also wanted to know if the same song would play for her.

It was time to get off the esplanade and search Darwin some more.  Still without maps or any clue on where we were going we just drove.  We visited the jetty, wave pool and war museum before racing around the shopping centre grocery shopping to make a movie on time which I fell asleep in anyway.  I really should watch "Eat, Pray, Love" again.  Unable to swim in the beach at Darwin supposedly because crocodiles roamed the water I suggested we go to Litchfield National Park and meet the trio of treats again.  I was excited for Kristy to meet them so we beeped the horn on our way out of town and drove into heavy rain.  My Camps 5 Australia book was great to find my way to these camp sites but unfortunately it didn't warn me of the big ass hill ahead of me.  I was driving really slow because I couldn't see through the heavy rain, so when I hit the hill I knew I was in strife.  We tried to cheer Applejack on and I pressed his turbo button but it was too late we were half way up the hill when he stalled.  Trying to hill start on here was pointless I don't think the handbrake would even hold us and I couldn't hear the engine the rain was so heavy.  Kristy was nearly wetting herself laughing in the passenger seat so she was not helping as my legs started shaking from laughing as well.  We had to roll back down and get a run up.  It wasn't at all embarrassing when the car full of young people drove past us laughing.  ha  The whole situation really was hilarious and I look forward to getting my hands on the video footage Kristy took.

We were excited to see Gregg and Mish's vehicles in the camping sites.  It was beer time!
















These were the only crazy crocodiles we saw at the beach but we still didn't risk swimming.






















He wasn't going anywhere!

























I can feel the humidity looking back at this picture.  It was bloody hot!





We played alot of guitar...I had to count myself down a few times before any words would come out.  I think I was just strumming myself in on this pic.  It took me awhile to sing out loud for the crew.






























No comments:

Post a Comment