Tuesday 7 February 2012

Best Punk Rock Bands That We'd Ever Heard!

Welcome to Exmouth!  

FOR those who have just joined me on the Dance Of Happiness blog, thank you and I recommend you go back to the first post I wrote at the end of last year and read from the start.  This will get you up to date on where I began and how I ended up in Exmouth with a backpacker tagging along.
I was getting really nervous about how far Oliver the Frenchmen thought he was going to travel with Kristy, Apple and I.  The deal was he was getting a lift to Exmouth.  That's it.  I felt bad telling him I didn't want to take him further but by not saying anything was only making me more annoyed.
I didn't know what to do.  You might be thinking Alyce what was the big deal?  Why couldn't you let him just travel with you further?  Well you see, this trip was my alone time.  All I wanted out of this trip was to drive the long open roads in my Kombi.
To see more of my country.
To spend time with myself and get to know ME better.
To not worry about pleasing or making decisions around anyone else.
To spend time with my best friend Kristy and also allow her to have a break in life as well.
At this time in my life I was great at making decisions when I was alone.  I had been through a bad break-up and wanted space.
What better way to get this then by driving a 1978 Volkswagen Kombi camper, walking barefoot on Australia's beaches and through its outback.
There wasn't room in my life (which was in Applejack) for Oliver.
You may not understand but that's my honesty.  So it was up to me to say something to Oliver...but I couldn't.
We went to the shops for food and beers and he was still wanting to go thirds.
We jumped back in Apple and I turned the music up to its maximum.  This was how I let out my frustration.  We found a nice beach near town and sat in the water with a XXXX Summer.  Yes my saviour!
Oliver pulled out his fire sticks so I took a deep breath and decided to take this as an opportunity to further my skills in juggling lemons to fire!  Yes I admit it, it was kinda fun...ha
The water was freezing but the sun was scorching.  We played hopscotch in and out for hours and Kristy was getting the attention of a group of guys doing the same.
They made conversation with us back at the van and turned out to be quite a laugh.  There was two guys from Germany and two from the United Kingdom.  One of them saw my guitar and proceeded to tell us how he "played in one of the best f*cken rock bands that you'd ever heard."
These words will never be erased from our heads and I couldn't wait to hear his music come out of my dads guitar.  The guitar which has had Slim Dusty songs strummed off its strings for over 20 years until my wee hands grabbed it and even then it was only soft music.
Between the accent and his confidence we couldn't help but laugh and like the guy.  They were travelling in an old battered car and slept in their backseats and on the surfboards on the roof.
They envied us in the Kombi big time!  Yeah I had a beautiful ride.  I'm very grateful of Apple.
We hung out for awhile and decided to make tracks and find a free camp site for the night.
Oliver said he knew a great spot.  Hmm we ended up in the middle of nowhere.  Didn't worry Kristy and I as we had Applejack to tuck in to but Oliver had to wrap himself up in his belongings on the beach.
It was cold and windy.
Hang on I did offer him the top bunk but he said he was OK on the beach.
Kristy and I giggled for a while as we went to bed at the thought of him strolling to Apple in the morning looking like a crumbed sausage.

Sometimes Oliver just didn't participate.  We do look like the prawn don't we!  

This is the man!  The man in the best punk rock band ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment