Friday 22 June 2012

Dancing Through The Wine

The sun came out and I stared at the water wishing I could go in.  Still a wee cold for me.

THE thought of driving through Margaret River was exciting to think about driving through after hearing so much about it.  
It ended up being such a full on drive though as my eyes constantly darted from left to right taking in all the country and large grand entrances of the wineries.
This is where I should tell you all an embarrassing secret that I'm sure will shock you.
I DIDN'T MAKE IT INSIDE ANY OF THEM!
I know, I know it sounds insane but I couldn't decide when and where to stop!
There were so many, all amazing and I said to myself "I'll look at what's ahead" and before I knew it, I was past all decent wineries.
I even stopped at the Information Centre to get an idea of the best place to go if I could only go into one but they didn't make a decision for me.
The weather was really cold and wet and I found myself at a small, random Honey Bee Winery.
It was a little old house looking arrangement with a theme of yellow and black of course and they sold honey flavoured ice-cream, wine and treats.
Guess what I bought?
A silly bloody ice-cream despite being freezing cold and a bottle of wine for mum which turned out to taste really ordinary.
Nice work Alyce.
You drive all the way around Australia and didn't even get sloshed on a top notch wine in Margaret River!
So I kept on driving and followed the coastal road slowly.
Had a giggle to myself at my form and took in more picturesque scenery.
There were lots of little places that I could have stopped at but as I had only a few weeks left and a loads of distance to cover I couldn't turn off Applejack in all of them.
The fellow travellers were mostly grey nomads and with the air so cold I felt a little saddened that my afternoon beer days were over.
I had to swap my Queensland Country Life stubby cooler for a sophisticated red wine.
This wasn't so hard for me as I am actually a closet classy woman.
I was also feeling confusion about where to stay the night.
There really was so many choices and looking back I think I ended up in the most random places that weren't as popular but I guess it worked for me at the time.
The South is more of a blur to me now then my time up North.
I remember so much detail from the first four weeks in the outback.
When I think about the last leg of my trip I have lost most of my memory.
I have no idea why this is?
Maybe because there was so much to take in or maybe my attention was still on the North.
I felt at home up in the top end.
Still to this day I think about the warm sticky air, heart warming sunsets and the sound of nothing.

Green, green, green.

Still wished I could swim.

After my kite-boarding accident a couple of years ago, you will never catch me attached to one of these again.


This is when I was thinking.  Should I turn around now that the sun is out and just decide on one winery?


No comments:

Post a Comment