Saturday 17 March 2012

Will We Get A Pit Crew T'shirt?

Charlie, Shaun and Jamie before the start of the race.

WE had not learnt the co-ordinates to where the pearls with gold were however the morning with Kristy and Jamie were great.
What would an afternoon drive back to Carnarvon entail.
We loaded our belongings into the 4wd and hit the isolated road north.
For most of the trip I thought to myself "Will Applejack be OK, will I make Perth and shit should we have come back to Carnarvon?"
The town had come to life since our last visit.  It was lined with motorbikes and buggies and people were lined to sign up for the Gasgoyne Dash.

Kristy and I met up with the Irish backpackers and sat on a green patch of grass in the sun.
They were also nursing a hangover.
Jamie found us, handed us a shirt and we went to check on the bikes and help them prepare for the morning.

Dressing for tea that night made me realise I hadn't packed ideally.
Definitely not ideal if I was actually entering the Farmer Wants A Wife series.
I'll tell you just how poor my performance was.  I packed jeans that had needed to be hemmed since I'd bought them nearly two years previously.
I knew the jeans didn't stay up by folding.
Crud what do I do?
What anyone would do....find scissors and cut the babies!
Using blunt scissors in a rush isn't advised.
This may result in a terrible wonky cut and even worse....too short!
Ha Ha I can imagine there are readers....women readers covering their eyes with their hands saying, "Oh Alyce what were you thinking".
It didn't really worry me too much as I wasn't there to audition for the wife position.
I was there to make new friends and have a great time.
We ended the night with a trip to an interesting pub for our last beer.

We woke early and the bikes started.
Jamie gave us the run-down of the day ahead and we went to the start line.
We were handed the cameras and told to snap and video.
No worries guys, least we could do.
To be honest I don't remember how the guys went in the first leg of the race at the racecourse but I wish I could remember one team members name in particular.
A young guy and something quite special on a bike and I'm sure he is climbing the ladder of success as I write.
They all rode in and got their times before loading up the bikes and driving an hour East into the Gasgoyne.

When offered a beer I was hesitant in taking it as I knew I would need to pee along the way and with trees scarce it wasn't an ideal situation.  Especially with my bladder, however willpower failed and I took the beer.
Sure thing I had to ask them to stop without a shrub insight.
"Yeah no worries squirt, I'll pull over in that paddock and if you squat right behind the vehicle no one will see" Jamie said.
Hmm sounded do-able.
There I was squatting and trying to make it quick when Jamie decided to drive forward slowly.
If I tried to do this again I would end up on my face but somehow I waddled behind the vehicle with my pants pulled down.
Yes Kristy thought this was a great joke and now that I think about it, it was probably her idea.
We all had a chuckle and continued on the dusty track.

Approaching the camp grounds and start line was an exciting feeling.  You could feel the energy in the outback lift.
It brought back the exciting feeling I had when watching my brother in-law, Glenn Debel, compete for Australia in the 6 Day Endurance race in New Zealand.
We pulled up next to the Kenworth truck with the team we were travelling with and found the Irish girls again.
Kristy and I were feeling a little lost without Applejack and we weren't even sure where we'd sleep but we were thankful tot he swag handed to us.
Lucky Kristy and I were used to sleeping in the same bed as the swag was snug.

The afternoon was spent preparing bikes, the Irish were cooking up a storm in the trailer and Kristy and I were maybe squeezing the air filters with some sort of liquid?  Ha ha I can't remember what the exact parts were but we were doing something important.
I grew up riding horses not motorbikes, which is evident from the scar on my leg from my poor motorbike skills.

I think it was a reasonably quiet night at the camp but loud early morning with engines revving and dust filled my nose as it was kicked up from the wheels and formed a thick layer head height.
A meeting between our camp was held and we were given our directions for the day.
To be allowed in the pit stops you needed boots so I borrowed a size 9 Blundstone because again my packing had failed on me.
I was wishing I had brought my own favourite size 4 Blundstones that were sitting under Applejack's seat.

With my big boots, old jeans with the crutch torn, a borrowed cap and the Gasgoyne Dash shirt I was ready to wipe goggles and feed the men lollies.

Shaun probably saying to Charlie "Why are we doing this again?" Ha

Last minute checks

Jamie probably saying "Common fella's, bikes aren't going to race themselves!"

Jamie on the start line, waiting for the gun.

Windy and dusty....we loved being back at Carnarvon! 

Where a short ass stands to take photos

Again can't remember his name but he was a journalist that had come  from Denmark possibly?  To compete and write about the Gasgoyne Dash.   Very interesting guy.

Had to stop for a beer at the Gasgoyne Pub...bloody long drive!  I think someone farted next to Kristy and she is trying to wave the smell away?

Told you we were squeezing something!

No comments:

Post a Comment