Tuesday 24 January 2012

If you like...I drive?

Our new crew member in the middle...Oliver
THE drive from Port Headland to Exmouth was a long drive in the sense of kilometres.  I wanted to do the whole stint so I could spend more time in the area however at the end of the day it depended on how Applejack handled the weather. 
He is a speedy kombi but if I let him pin his ears back in that heat a fire could start in his backside.  Not a risk I wanted to take. 
Every morning as strange as it sounds, Kristy and I would talk or sing to Apple and encourage him to keep up the great motoring.  It just came naturally to us. 
One thought that went through my mind when we felt followed to 80 Mile Beach was..."Please Apple...please get us to safety".
For those who have a kombi might be able to relate to the characterising of a kombi.
Maybe it's just me.  Maybe I spent too long on the road by myself with Applejack but he's my man!  The big ray of sunshine that I step into everyday and he makes me feel great.  Sad?  Ha

Oh enough about my obsession with Apple, lets get back to the road around Oz.
Oliver was given the back seat with his single backpack and we were South bound.  Most of the time he just read or listened to his ipod then after fuel stops he'd lean forward and have a chat.  He seemed easy to travel with.  Being the lovely girls we are we offered to put his French music on and we even managed to play a few rounds of cards with the esky being our table. 
Yes I am multi-tasked.  Drive and play cards, what a woman! 
As the time went on Oliver leant forward and asked "Do you do all the driving Alyce?"
"Yeah I love it" I said.
"Well if you like I drive" he said.
Hmm I thought to myself.  Would I really like to let a stranger who crashed his van into a cow drive my Applejack?
"Nah I'm good thanks."
I do recall him saying on that day in Broome, "It's my dream to drive and travel in a kombi."
I'm sorry I only let you fulfil half your dream Oliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment