Monday 14 November 2011

Broome isn't known for broomes....

KRISTY and I drove into Broome with our tongues hanging out like dogs after a days muster and Applejacks rear was heating up.  I have no idea on the exact temperature but we had to stop and we had to stop quick!  You will never guess where Apple led us to first.  The pub.  A pub which had sprinklers hanging off the beams overhead.  Yes it was that hot they had to wet us while we drank.
We couldn't sit there all day as we had to get supplies before finding our Caravan Park but our strength was weak and our sanity was decreasing.  We found ourselves laughing over nothing.  We were verging on delusional so we weaved in and out of air conditioned shops until we found a camping store.  We gathered our goods and our sanity and found the beachfront Park.  Perfect!
We were told to lock Applejack and keep all belongings out of sight.  Lock up?  What is that?  I hadn't completely locked or hid belongings throughout my trip.  (Actually I lie.  That night in Darwin was our first lock down) 
At last our feet were in the sand and our arms reached for the water.  The feeling was delicious.

 





















Three indigenous kids made us laugh for a long time at Roebuck Bay.  They weren't shy as Kristy learnt quickly after they tackled her into the water.  I was lying on the beach thinking "does Kristy know these kids?"  It was hilarious.  They spoke quick and I had trouble understanding them but I was keen to make conversation as they were funny characters.  I asked the little girl if she lived in Broome?
"Nah I live ......"
"You live where?"
She repeated herself atleast five times and I asked atleast five times before Kristy clicked on and shouted the answer to me.  She was trying to tell me her street name and pointing in the direction.  They were very cute and very cheeky.  Kristy had a beer in her hand and they asked what it was.  She said softdrink as I think she felt bad for drinking but the boy said "nah girl you're drunk".  By this stage we were in tears laughing.  They were giving her so much cheek. 

We were loving Broome and meeting great people.  The couple camped next to us had been there for a couple of months and although they had to leave in a few days they sounded like they wanted to stay forever.  We asked them to the pub for tea but they wanted a quiet night.  When Kristy woke up the next morning I am sure she had wished she had stayed at the Park aswell.  Stay tuned to read how Kristy ended up on crutches.......


1 comment: